Tuesday, April 14, 2009

One year


So this week-end, baby Chuckles turned one. And let's face it, the first birthday is not at all about the baby but all about the mommy. It feels cliche to mention how quickly it's flown, but it has. There are now four kids taking up our time - perhaps that's what make this milestone seem so quick to arrive. Chuckles doesn't really move like his siblings did at this age. His crawl (if you even call it that) is more of a commando style movement, and if he's sitting upright he scoots around on his bum (at an impressively quick clip, I might add). I have this thing about beautiful crawling, though. Someone told me the other day that good crawlers make good readers. Hmm. Gotta work on the old brain gym cross lateral stimulation, I guess.

Looking back on the time surrounding his birth, I get very emotional. A surprise c-section, followed by an emergency removal of a twisted ovary one week later, brought utter chaos to our house. My in laws were superstars during those first two weeks, and kept us afloat until Granny arrived to carry on the constant slog of laundry, kid-entertainment, trips to school while I tried to get my strength back. And all the while Chuckles was losing weight and I was very fragile - extremely fragile - crying all the time fragile. And I was tired, too. People brought us meals for what seemed like months, and I am grateful for everyone who rallied to help us out during those tiring, chaotic and overwhelming weeks.

And now, I am the mother of a curly haired, chubby-cheeked, easy going one year old boy. Am I ever grateful for you, Chuckles.

No comments:

Post a Comment