Three years ago, my littlest boy burst into our lives. He was stubbornly turned sideways, and so his birth was a Caesarean one. One week later, I was in the hospital giving birth again: to a cyst that my left ovary had twisted around. Ouch. I will not relive this story here, but the first weeks and months of this boy's life were profoundly difficult ones. I had four children to parent, yet was bedridden and struggling to bring baby Chuckles back to his birthweight. My confidence in feeding my newborn was low, and I needed lots of help. And so his arrival was a humbling experience for me. I leaned heavily on family, friends and neighbours, and they amazed me with their generosity. It makes me a little weepy as I think of this time in my life: utter joy in the birth of this healthy baby, frustration at not being able to attend to my bigger kids, struggle in feeding this kid, fatigue, (oh the fatigue!) and gratitude for the family and community into which he was born. You are one lucky boy, Chuckles. And I am one lucky mama. Happy third birthday.
Flow is the antidote
1 month ago



Oh, what a cutie! Happy birthday sweet little boy!
ReplyDelete