Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Victoria

I remember vividly the moment my parents shared with us that they were moving to Victoria, BC. L-man was still a small babe, and, as a new mother, I had been expecting that my parents would be around to be involved regularly in our lives: dropping in, babysitting, coming to my kid's soccer games, being on standby if I needed them in a pinch. All of a sudden that ideal, that idyllic arrangement of grandparents being just around the corner...well, disappeared. And I was very sad for a long time.

I knew that just being sad was not going to change things, however, so we slowly accepted our new reality and planned for a trip over there while I was on maternity leave. And it was lovely. My parents had found a place large enough for many guests, and their condo (big house, really) had a view of the ocean and was a quick walk to the beach. Then there were the mountains, lush forests, hiking and biking trials, seafood, amazing restaurants and sights. I quickly began to appreciate the things that drew them out here. Since that first trip, we have come back many times. I found the silver lining in their leaving me: they can host us in a spectacular place while serving us fine meals in wonderful company.  So thanks for a great time, you two.
on the beach of Cordova Bay

 finding a driftwood fort on the beach

 ahh...the hot tub

 looking out at the Olympic mountains

Granny inspecting the crab

 M-cat tries out the violin at the Symphony Splash instrument petting zoo

 a carriage ride around Victoria

 tennis lessons with coach Pappy

fresh pasta is too hard to resist

 mealtime on the sailboat

 Chuckles delights in meeting his big red pal Clifford

 hiking up Mount Doug

 two boys on a beach


No comments:

Post a Comment