Thursday, December 3, 2009

The 25 Day Christmas Challenge



We don't have cable TV around here. What fills the void, at times, is checking out the multitude of blogs that exist out there. Through my friend Karen, I came across at Ottawa mother's blog, and I loved her idea of an advent calendar with a twist. Each day, either in an envelope or a pocket, the kids will pick out a handwritten note, with something to do each day. I'll let you know how this little experiment works in the days ahead.

I found this Indian made calendar at Ten Thousand Villages, and knew it would perfect for the job:


Day 1: watch a movie while sipping hot cocoa with marshmallows. A hit (shocker). We had started a movie on the week-end with the kids, but didn't have time to finish. But we did, on a SCHOOL NIGHT! The kids were psyched, and didn't even notice the paltry selection of last year's marshmallows bobbing in their cups.

Day 2: Make green and red Rice Krispie squares after school. Simple. Yummy. Chuckles, in particular, makes a point of hollering for them whenver he spies the container on the counter (which I must now go and hide).

Day 3: (Today) Eat breakfast with candles and Christmas music. Paul started up the fun before I came downstairs. It was in fact the sound of Raffi's Christmas CD that got me out of bed (I'm feeling very crummy today with a head cold - uck.) It was a lovely scene coming down to breakfast. Candles lit on table, kids eating eggs, no squabbling - just that good old Raffi a-singing. So far, so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment