Sunday, August 14, 2011

Destination: Italy

(note: this series of posts have been written while in Italy - the food and views are terrible here - ha! just kidding. I've decide to post these now, and to assault you with photos upon our return, so I can make you all jealous)

Day one:
After my gold medal performance in packing, we delivered all four kids to their grandparents. I think I might have forgotten to clip some fingernails along the way, but most of the big stuff got done. Our flight was smooth and we made good time to Frankfurt, then Milan. We spent a short time at the Milan train station where I was reminded how this Europeans really know how to build spectacular buildings. They also know how to squeeze Euros out of you for using the toilet, but that's an adjustment I'm willing to make for a week.

And then we arrived in La Spezia by train, where my parents were waiting for us, buzzing with their adventures and descriptions of the Cinque Terra, where we'll be staying for the first leg of our stay. We are staying in Vernazza, and despite the fatigue creeping in, we enjoyed a foot tour around the town, noted many many supremely tanned Italian bodies (and yes, for the record, Italian men still wear speedos), felt the thrill of walking in narrow cobblestone alleys again,  and had a delicious dinner at Tratttoria Gianna (I love you pesto, and I love that I'm staying in your birthplace), and then we walked about one million stairs to the top of our albergo (hotel) where a small cozy room awaited us, with a breathtaking view. We're really here, and it's beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment