Sunday, August 14, 2011

Italy: day 2

So perhaps I haven't mentioned that the Cinque Terre (5 towns) are connected by hiking paths with views that, well, are just plain awesome. And hiking was our main event today. Hopped on the train to Riomaggiore where we walked to Manarola. This stretch is called the Via dell'Amore ("pathway of love") .Originally, the cinque terre towns were extremely isolated, but with help from lots of gunpowder, tunnels were built to connect them. And so, after improvement to the original trails connecting the towns, girls and boys would rendezvous along this path, coining it's name.( Kind of like when small isolated Mennonite communities take bus trips to neighbouring villages to mix it up a bit, except with tunnels and the Medditeranean. OK, maybe it's not like that at all.)

After exploring the town of Manarola, we took off to the next town, Corniglia (but don't pronounce the "g"). Alas, a landslide had wiped out some of the path, so we returned by train, then bus (avoiding the climb of 382 stairs) before we completed our last hiking leg of the day. It was by far more challenging, but we were rewarded with fantastic views. (I should stop saying that now, shouldn't I) I loved the main square in Corniglia: old stone fountain, big old trees giving dappled shade, and tiny little tables with people enjoying coffee, beer, and many other Italian goodies.

Have I mentioned yet how odd it feels to spend a whole day travelling with no one asking: "I need a snack! I'm hungry! When will be get there?) It's a bit surreal, actually. And we get to choose our own schedule, too! How crazy is that?

So after descending the long path into Vernazza, Paul and I took a quick dip in the sea, then got ready for our meal at Ristorante Al Castello. It's just below the castle at the top of town and their lasagne al pesto is still making me swoon at the memory. Oh Italy, I love your food. And the cliff-side sea-view wasn't too shabby either.

So much food. So much wine. And so many stairs to climb down to the main square. And then up again to the tippy top floor of our hotel. I'm practically burning away all these calories with the daily stair regimen, right? Right?



No comments:

Post a Comment