Thursday, December 22, 2011

Silent Day and Silent Night

This is how I've spent the past four days - in silence. On Sunday, after a cold, too little sleep and too many dehydrating beverages (!), I lost my voice. And I still haven't found it. It's very very odd.
I cannot teach. I cannot sing. I need to avoid people to avoid the temptation to talk. This is hard for the extrovert.

I spend a lot of time clapping and miming. And my mom (when she wasn't busy playing with spoons) just made me a personalized set of cue cards:
 She also facilitated the making of this: (NB: next year, four houses, not one. Too much arguing, artistic difference and nose picking while attempting this somewhat painful yuletide project)
 And tomorrow I will host 25 people here for Christmas dinner. I don't think the cue cards will help. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. Good thing you've got your mom there, Marnie! I'm sorry to hear you're still silent. Hope tomorrow goes well.

    Favourite cue card: "Is everyone buckled in?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carrie. I sure have become a good listener theses days. And my affliction has prompted my kids to play miming games. It's like charades all day long! I am very grateful for the presence of my able-voiced parents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope your voice is now back, marnie! how frustrating! although the cards are super cute! glad you had some help on hand!
    g'bread houses: yup i took two houses to decorate with the two nieces - i highly recommend a house per child!
    happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete