Thursday, February 2, 2012

Is my hair flat?

Yesterday afternoon, just before supper, an eerie calm took over the house. I was actually preparing supper in silence. After snapping out of this supper preparation calm,  my motherly instincts kicked in: 'Hey - where is that 3 year old, anyway?"I crept upstairs and into the bathroom. There stood Chuckles, hair slicked and shoulders soaked, with the nail scissors in his hand as he attempted to cut off his curls on his forehead. Calmly, serenely, I resisted the temptation to wrestle the nail scissors out of his hand and yell.  (Nice restraint, mom.)
Me: "What are you doing?"
C: "I want my hair to be FLAT. I'm cutting these curls off."
M: (thinks: but those girls are gorgeous...I love them. But should I mention this now? Or should I do the distract and redirect? Redirect.) "Hey, aren't you cold in that wet shirt? Let's put these scissors away and get cozy in front of the fire."
Score one for mom.

Where does this kid get the idea that "flat" hair is better, anyway? Too many people talking about his curls?   Let's hope he reaches his teen years with self-esteem intact. I can only imagine the hair product he'll want to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment