Monday, May 7, 2012

Running this race

It has been a long time since I've written a post. Not for lack of material (there has been plenty) but life has been full to bursting. Writing about it, alas, has ground to a halt. Sigh.

My friend Carrie encouraged me: "just put some photos up!" when I admitted to feeling a bit blog-jammed. And so I had visions of posting a quick photo gallery of April: Chuckles turning four, Easter, G-force turning nine, extended family gatherings, a visit from Granny, a week-end adventure with high school friends in Chicago...

But for now, I will let you imagine the details of these things that happened.

I've been thinking of how when people ask one another how they are doing, I often hear "busy!". But I personally try to avoid that response. We are all busy, busting at the seams busy, but I like to offer up something else, too. Something beyond the busy. I want to be able to take breaks from the race, to breathe, to be present in the moment. Is this possible while raising four kids while making the transition back to teaching part time? I hope so. I need to believe it's possible.  But I feel as as I'm having a bit of an identity crisis right now as I move away from full time mother at home to dividing my time between home and work. My job is exciting, challenging, fulfilling. Yet I grieve the loss of flexibility in my days, the opportunities to spontaneously connect with friends and neighbours. I sometimes feel as if I'm doing a mediocre job of both mom and teacher. Sigh again.

As I figure out all of us, I just wanted to share two incredibly proud moments I experienced yesterday:
Firstly, L-man ran in his first running race, a 3K. He and his friends decided to participate, and so they trained several times a week, with parents, then without, until the big day yesterday. The atmosphere was exciting, and the boys ran with heart. It was a delight to see.


And then, in no time at all, Chuckles began riding a two wheeler. One moment Paul took him to the school down the street and shortly thereafter I saw this grinning 4 year old, pleased as punch, riding back towards me.  His big siblings were equally proud. As was his mama.

1 comment:

  1. Yay to both boys! How exciting!

    FYI: Sorry that we missed the voice mail from M. Our phone was not working all weekend and we only got the message this morning. A was sad to have missed the opportunity! Another time! :)

    Talk soon.

    ReplyDelete