Monday, September 28, 2009

September

Ack! September. Like a whirlwind, you have swept though, and now you are almost winding down. This is a month of new beginnings: school, activities, early bedtimes, racing, racing, racing. Did I wish for this? I suppose in those late summer days, when, frankly, the kids and I had just spent too much time together I did hope for the return to school and to routine. Now, I'm not quite so sure. There is so much to keep on top of - times four.

And so, I have adopted a fall theme word: NO. Growing up, I was always a big joiner. I begged my mom to do everything: skating, music, gymnastics, Brownies. I loved it all. Now, however, I am embracing this no word, to preserve a bit of sanity around here. These kids of mine are still pretty small, and they don't need to be in structured activities all the time. (egad! will this give other children the edge? will mine languish in boredom? hardly.) In fact, after school is done, I feel as if I hardly get a piece of my kids. So I find myself resisting the push to plug them into a host of activities. Sometimes this is hard for the joiner in me. But then I remember that new word of mine: no.

No comments:

Post a Comment