Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Big boys and birthdays

Today, we survived the L-man's 8th birthday party - the friend version. I didn't have the energy to plan the whole shin dig before the end of school, and I thought having it in the middle of summer might a) keep the guest list under control and b) offer a good excuse for his friends to get together after some time apart. And so the idea was hatched: a sleep-under party, with all the sleep over components, except you send them all home (sugared up and over tired) to their parents by 9pm.

It was fun, it was busy, and we're glad it's done. We started off with a scavenger hunt which included specific tasks: digging for treasure in the sandbox, building a 6 foot tall Lego tower, eating doughnuts off a string with no hands, and building a human pyramid (not my greatest idea). Decorating cupcakes followed, then a movie which Paul set up, courtesy of a borrowed movie projector, on our living room wall. Bags of popcorn were distributed until their parents came to bring 'em home. What a fun party! But like I said, I'm glad to have wrapped up another season of kid birthdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment