Portmeirion, a name often associated with china, is a crazy village. It was built by Sally's great-grandfather: a small scale italianate village, with exquisite gardens and pastel coloured buildings, which makes it stand apart from the every other stone home in this country. It was like the Amalfi coast in Wales! (well, that's a bit of a stretch).
We enjoyed a post-wedding brunch in one of the rather fancy buildings, and then set off to stroll around this fairy tale town. I fell in love with a little Emma Bridgewater teaset, which I bought for the girls. I also splurge on a breakfast mug too, so I can pretend I'm there while sipping my morning latte. We said many good-byes before heading off, with Brad, Neil, Paul and L-man, to explore the castle of Harlech. It was impressive and much fun to explore, although Brad couldn't help but notice how much more uptight we are in Canada about safety. A child could have easily fallen off the edge in many places, and the Welsh simply post signs warning you of all the possible ways in which you can injure yourself. Hmm.
The day ended with a quintessential UK experience: the family gathered, one last time, in the living room, feasting on fish and chips and watching Wimbledon. I'll have a Guiness with that, please.
Ah Wales, I'll miss you. It's been a fantastic week.
Flow is the antidote
1 month ago
No comments:
Post a Comment