Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wales, Day 2

Today, after sleeping late, we set off to explore our first Welsh castle, Caernarfon, built over 700 years ago. It was a beautiful day for a drive, and I still get so excited when I walk on cobblestone streets. The castle was huge. After the requisite photo session fuelled by good old Granny, L-man hopped on some old canons and we set off to explore the interior: lots of dark hallways, narrow openings for defense, long walkways over the ramparts, and a neat display highlighting Prince Charles' coronation as the Prince of Wales. After we all started losing steam, we loaded into the van and made a stop at Tesco, Great Britain's #1 grocery store! I''m always fascinated by groceries in other countries. I was struck by the sweet aisle, and the many boxes of Cadbury fingers - yum. Sally also introduced us to Welsh cakes (kind of a flat scone), which I also found there. At the check out, I recognized the Tesco reusable shopping bags, with cute little ladybugs on it, which my friend Charlie brought back from the UK. I've envied her shopping bags ever since (I know, I should get out more). It was fun to splurge on my very own Tesco bag.

That night, Sally's family arrived at Plas Golwyn for a pizza feast. They've all been slogging away, day after day, working on getting the barn ready for the wedding on Saturday. There is still much to be done, and I think dear Sally is a bit stressed about it all. We had a lovely gathering, and after much lively chatter, we all slunk off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment