Saturday, June 20, 2009

I've failed you, son

Earlier this week, watching L-man's soccer game, one of the parents informed me that his shoelace was untied. I knew that that lace would not get tied unless I raced out onto the field to tie it for him. You see, I haven't taught him to tie his shoes. And yes, he's almost eight. How did this happen? I am raising my kids in a time of Crocs and velcro shoes - and clearly this has resulted in a certain deficit in acquiring essential life skills.

Sheepishly, I raced out onto the field, then turned to all the staring parents and muttered: "well at least he wipes his own bum!", then hurried back to my seat, resolving to teach him to tie his shoes immediately. Of course, that was already three days ago...

And while I'm confessing ways in which I've shortchanged my eldest son, I recently made another realization while rifling through his underwear drawer - he's still wearing the same undies that I gave him when he was potty training - over five years ago - five years!

I'm sorry, son. I love you like crazy, so let's hang out sometime and have a lace tying tutorial - right after we buy you some new gotchies.

No comments:

Post a Comment