Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The joy and curse of the perler beads

Perler beads. Tiny, peppercorn sized plastic beads, meant to be placed in little pegboards (this requires sophisticated fine motor control) and then fused together with a hot iron. Then, ta-da! you can a big plastic colourful bead shape at the end.

What I love about them: my big kids will spend hours at this activity.

What I hate about them: any wrong move will result on the whole project being destroyed. While this is disappointing, what I really fear is the bloodshed/blame that follows. "why did you bump this, mommy!!!", "he WRECKED it! "(pinch, slap, etc.) Moreover, this requires regular trekking downstairs to use my seldom used iron. And today, as I was pausing to notice my not so gross anymore kitchen floor, I heard the unmistakable sound of millions of tiny beads hitting the hardwood, and there he was, baby Chuckles, shoving them gleefully into his mouth, surrounded by a rainbow of plastic colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment